Monday, April 25, 2011

Meaning of good Friday

Meaning of good Friday

In German called "Kar" Karfreitag – it comes from an old-high-German word "joy", which means complaint, suffering or sorrow of mourning, "production" or "mourning" on Friday. I hear almost keening or lament in "joy". In English we say good Friday – good has also the meaning of "noble" or "Holy". This is called in Norwegian Langfredag – good Friday, perhaps because of the unbearable time spent watching and waiting for death or perhaps simply the long time spent in church services during the previous centuries … In French the day called depuis saint – Holy Thursday …
These bits and pieces of meaning and translation all contribute to my sense of this day in the Christian calendar. In addition, there are other good memories of my father's Friday, carrying the cross to the feet of the witnesses in the city centre during the year was Mayor, my mother playing violin, chorals passion for his preaching, praying, music and silence. And the book of Hans Ruedi Weber "Friday afternoon", given to me for my 18th birthday. Generous suffering and death of Christ speaking because so many deaths of human violence and intolerance … have we learned from the passion story, have I learned? I was there when they crucified my Lord? … and no, but in many ways, I am still yet to be crucified, raped, abused, stoned, slave owners until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment